Subject: Re: SS2<==Null Modem Line==>IPX via PPP?
To: port-sparc <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: beaker <beaker@freeshell.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/19/2003 23:45:27
On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, beaker wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm trying to set up the following:
>
> [SS2 Box]:PPP:ttyb:DB25)==Null modem cable==(MiniDIN8:ttyb:PPP:[IPX Box]
>
> I've basically followed the instructions listed in the
> "Inter-networking with PPP/Setting up pppd to use a leased line" FAQ
> (http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/#pppleased)
> with the following modifications:
>
> /dev/tty00 => /dev/ttyb    # sparc serial port "B"
>      57600 => 38400        # max speed for Zilog 8530 Dual UARTS
>
> For the <local_IP>:<remote_IP> line on the server box I tried
> specifying both IPs, just the local IP, and using unique IPs (ie not those
> indicated in /etc/ifconfig.le0). I started pppd w/o any additional options
> and it doesn't display any errors but the connection doesn't seem to work.
> Is there something else I need to do - do I need a /etc/ifconfig.<dev>
> file or turn on something in /etc/ttys?

Silly me - I should have checked the pinouts on the cable. Turns out pins
6 & 8 aren't connected to anything. I'll try building a custom cable, but
I'd still like to know if there is anything wrong with my ppp
configuration as laid out in the original post. Has/is anybody else doing
a simple leased line connection via the IPX serial port?

Cheers,

Beaker                /
                 o  /
                 </
              /
            /

--
That must be wonderful! I don't understand it at all. -- Moliere