Subject: Re: light web browser
To: John Steele Scott <toojays@toojays.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/19/2003 12:43:00
[ On Sunday, January 19, 2003 at 18:14:21 (+1030), John Steele Scott wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: light web browser
>
> I ended up trying links-gui, dillo and chimera. Other possibilities are
> mMosiac and Arena, but they don't support newer flavours of HTML.

If you want support for the very latest flavours of HTML then you want
to try Amaya (pkgsrc/www/amaya).  It is _the_ web browser & editor from
the World Wide Web Consortium.

It's not truly light-weight since it uses one of the heavy-weight X11
toolkits, but since the advent of OpenMotif it is quite stable.

Amaya takes a bit of getting used to as a browser, and it really is a
bit picky about parsing some of the latest HTML syntax (as it well
should be, I guess), but it works well enough.

I've found Mozilla and Phoenix to be more usable browsers though,
assuming you have the CPU and RAM to run them (partly because I'm really
fond of this "tabs" concept I guess).  Having a decent bookmarks feature
is really quite handy too, especially when you have thousands of
bookmarks to organise, as I do!  ;-)

> Links-gui had some bizarre behaviour. When it started up the colours on my
> entire display went weird for a moment, then once it was running, the colours
> would go strange whenever I had my mouse inside the links-gui window. If I
> moved the mouse outside the windows, the colours would go back to normal.

That's completely and totally normal for some X11 applications,
including links-gui on certain types of displays.  It's just allocating
its own colour map.  This is a _good_ thing if you have a limited-depth
display (eg. 8-bit, thus only 256 colours), as otherwise some stupid
application will allocate a whole range of useless colours and not leave
enough for things like links to make decent sense of GIF, JPEG, PNG,
etc. image formats.  Some programs, like 'xv', will make the best of the
available default colour map, but can be told to allocate their own
too.  On an 8-bit display you'd really want to be running Mozilla with
it's finally available "-install" option too, which does the same thing
and has the same effect.

Unfortunately links-gui doesn't work on monochrome (or <8-bit) displays.

But then there's just plain "links" (without the -g) and it works well
on any display!  ;-)  I use it most of all.  (it can easily be
configured to start 'xv' and the like to display images....)

--
								Greg A. Woods