Subject: problems booting from disk after bootblock installation...
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Craig Ian Dewick <craig@lios.apana.org.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/12/2003 19:17:15
Hello,

I have just set up a new HD on my Sparc-20 based NetBSD system. The drive
is a Seagate 36 GB 'Cheetah' model. The old drive is an 18 GB IBM HD which
is starting to show it's age.

Anyway, I set up a partition table on the new drive using 'disklabel',
initialised the partitions using 'newfs', and copied over the /, /usr and
/var filesystems from the current to the new HD using the 'dump' and
'restore' commands without any problems.

I used 'installboot' (with the '-v' option to see what it did) to install
a bootblock onto the new root partition in preparation for a test-boot off
the new drive...

Whenever I attempt to boot off the replacement drive, the message
'Instruction Access Exception' appears and the boot aborts.

This tells me that the bootblock installation process has gone wrong
somehow... Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? Is it an
artefact of running NetBSD 1.5.2? The machine was running 1.4.1 until
about 6 months ago, when it was upgraded to 1.5.2.

Regards,

Craig.

--
  Craig Ian Dewick (craig@lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
  APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP).