Subject: Re: SMP success
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/06/2003 22:50:19
In message <6466.1041918654@splode.eterna.com.au>, matthew green writes:

>BTW, do you have ddb configured?  you really should.  everyone who
>runs SMP kernels should probably have DDB and it wouldn't be bad to
>also turn on the LOCKDEBUG option to check that simplelock's are
>correctly used ...

Since I am now probably the NetBSD/sparc poster boy for broken
locks, race conditions, and random other hard to detect and impossible
to debug lossage...  Any recommendations in addition to these?
I've always had DDB in my kernels, and I'll be adding an "options
LOCKDEBUG" line to my kernel in a few minutes.

Anything else I should consider?  I don't want to drop the speed
to the level of my LX, but I wouldn't miss 10% at all, probably
not even 25%...  (Especially now that it runs 2x faster 8^)

Jon