Subject: Re: SMP success
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/06/2003 10:25:09
In message <l03102802ba3f7427701a@172.16.7.4>, Hauke Fath writes:

>Since this is a -current kernel running on 1.6 userland - is the kernel all
>I need for smp, or would I have to update (parts of) the userland, too?
>top(1), e.g., still reports all processes are running on cpu #0.

My userland is not that old (only a month or so) but I'm having the same
problem.  Thought it might just be me, but maybe not now...

Possibilities:

1) old userland (rebuilding now)
2) missing some config option (options MULTIPROCESSOR is in though)
3) not all necessary changes have been commited to the repository yet
4) kernel checks processors and is OK with my SM81 for cpu0 but
   doesn't like my SM71 for cpu1.  Doesn't use cpu1, but keeps
   quiet about it also.  (Solaris didn't mind this situation, and
   used both processors.)

Anything else I missed?  Anything I still need to do?

Jon