Subject: Re: SMP success
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/06/2003 19:02:01
At 9:13 Uhr -0800 6.1.2003, Greg Earle wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I cannot see any details about where on the bottom level (in
>> fdcattach_obio) the cpu was when the watchdog went off. The 'PC: f0004050'
>> appears to point into nowhere.
>
>Suggestion: Since it looks like it died looking for the floppy drive, why
>not build a new kernel with "fd" support commented out/disabled, and see
>how much further you get with the boot using that kernel?

I was just about to do that... I don't use the floppy much, anyway.

And - bingo! The box boots. Way cool!

Since this is a -current kernel running on 1.6 userland - is the kernel all
I need for smp, or would I have to update (parts of) the userland, too?
top(1), e.g., still reports all processes are running on cpu #0.

>	- Greg (who's looking forward to finally being able to upgrade
>		his SPARCserver 20/712 from 1.4.2 once there's a stable
>		release with SMP support ... 1.6.2?  1.7?  Anyone?  Bueller?)

1.7, I suppose, since the changes are part of the cvs trunk.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email