Subject: Re: disk1 image problem
To: beaker <beaker@freeshell.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/23/2002 22:24:36
--19uQFt6ulqmgNgg1

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 11:29:18PM -0800, beaker wrote:
  | On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Jan Senolt wrote:
  | > Hi,
  | > i have downloaded netbsd 1.6 for sparc,but when i try boot from floppy
  | > (uncompressed disk1.gz),it doesn't work (it wrote: 'Bad magic number in
  | > disk label Can't open Sun disk label package...'). I have SS IPX (rev.
  | > 2.9).

I have worked out a fix for this particular problem, it has been applied
to NetBSD-current, and it will be in NetBSD 1.6.1 (whenever that ships).

In short, the "disk1" image is missing the Sun disklabel that the PROM
needs to determine how to boot from the media.  So, we need to add one.

I recently added instructions to:
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/LAST_MINUTE
which document how write a Sun disklabel suitable for making the
NetBSD 1.6 "disk1" image bootable.

In summary, gunzip the attachment I've provided and write it to
the first sector of the floppy on which you've already written the
"disk1" image to, using something like:
	dd if=floppylabel of=/dev/rfd0a

If you want to permanently "fix" the disk1 image, use
	dd if=floppylabel of=disk1 conv=notrunc

Please let us know how that works for you.

Luke.

--19uQFt6ulqmgNgg1

H4sICES+BT4CA2Zsb3BweWxhYmVsAGNgGAVDAASgsJgYhBBS3A7kGnpr38V3AGggVSMAAgAA

--19uQFt6ulqmgNgg1--