Subject: Re: disk1 image problem
To: Jan Senolt <senoltj@atlas.cz>
From: beaker <beaker@freeshell.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/22/2002 23:29:18
On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Jan Senolt wrote:

> Hi,
> i have downloaded netbsd 1.6 for sparc,but when i try boot from floppy
> (uncompressed disk1.gz),it doesn't work (it wrote: 'Bad magic number in
> disk label Can't open Sun disk label package...'). I have SS IPX (rev.
> 2.9).

Hi Jan,
I had the same problem. Its the boot floppies: they're no good. I believe
someone is working on fixing that, but in the interim you can use the
1.5.2 boot floppies to boot the IPX, do the usual disklabel & newfs stuff.
You can also use it to fetch the 1.6 binary sets but the catch is that the
kernel set has a different name which prevents their retrieval. I suppose
you could go ahead and install 1.5.x and then do an 'upgrade' to 1.6. I
ended up downloading all the 1.6 sets - including the kernel set - to a local ftp
server, then renaming the kernel set to what 1.5.x expects, then pointing
sysinst to my ftp server. Do a search on this month's netbsd-sparc mail
list archives - you'll find what you need to know.

HTH,
Beaker                /
                 o  /
                 </