Subject: Re: Sun4c random death revisited
To: Dan Debertin <airboss@nodewarrior.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/15/2002 20:28:41
On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 12:07:51PM -0600, Dan Debertin wrote:
> I posted here last month about a diskless ELC machine (dmesg should be
> in the archives) that was suffering apparently random failures during
> kernel compilation. GCC would exit on SIGBUS or SIGSEGV at unpredictable
> points in the compilation process, but always roughly 15-30 minutes into
> it.

Umm, maybe you are suffering from the well-known problem discussed several
times before..  Apparently, there is some hardware problem in the sun4c
MMU which is triggered by NetBSD 1.6 kernel code.  AFAIK, there still isn't
a good fix for the problem.  All my SS1's became completely useless the
day I upgraded them to NetBSD 1.6.  There's a patch which makes the systems
quite stable, but it also slows them down to 1/4 crawl.

It's a pity - I've got four SS1's / SS1+'s, but they are quite useless now.

  -jm