Subject: Re: spkr beep
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Laurent=20FAILLIE?= <l_faillie@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/15/2002 03:16:03
 --- Dan Debertin <airboss@nodewarrior.org> a écrit :

> "I'm sorry, did you want the five-minute argument,
> or the full
> half-hour?"
>
> Seriously, I can think of better things to do with
> my time than going
> back & forth endlessly about the best way to make a
> beeping
> noise...anyway:

Ho ! Why I got so unpleasant reply ? :-(
If this thread makes you so @$#%@%$#%^@, simply ignore
it !

[...]

> Well, duh! I'll bet if you unplug your speakers,
> you'll notice the same
> "problem" when you write to /dev/audio.

The only difference is : there is no raison to unplug
INTERNAL speakers ...

> It goes without saying that if you want to elicit
> sound from a device
> (terminal, speakers, etc.), that device should be
> turned on and plugged
> in...

... but there is many raisons to have nothing
connected to ttya after bootup : the most obvious one
is to save space. Many peoples use switch to have only
one terminal acting as console for many systems and if
the terminal is switched to another thing ...
An other obvious raison is some people (like myself)
use another machine as console which is not always on
!

It's not so hard to understand !!!!

Anyway, using audio device doesn't need any priviliged
access. Using console may need root access whish
should be considered as a security hole ...

Now, I sugest you to go outside, to see the "real
word", the birds, the sun, to make a smill to your
wife/girlfriend ... perasp you next post will be more
friendly w/ other people !

Laurent !!

=====
The misspelling master is on the Web.
   _________	100 % Dictionnary Free !
 /  Dico  / /	Pleins d'autres fautes sur
/________/ /	http://go.to/destroyedlolo
(#######( /	http://destroyedlolo.homeunix.org:8080
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.