Subject: Re: SMP support for sparc?
To: Tobias Anderberg <tba@softhome.net>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/10/2002 00:12:46
--GxcwvYAGnODwn7V8

hi,

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 11:32:35PM +0100, Tobias Anderberg wrote:
>=20
> It's four
>=20
> 501-2780  SUN  SM52X SPARC MODULE W/CACHE, 3.5

these are SuperSPARC-I MBus modules, 50MHz with 1MB L2 cache.

> Havn't actually tried netbooting NetBSD yet, I havn't decided if I
> want to run it on my Ultra1 instead. Do you think it's possible to get
> it running on those, i.e. is it worth the time trying? If not, I just
> go for the Ultra1 instead! ;-)

SMP support for NetBSD/sparc is virtually nonexistent.  it spins up
other cpus (or at least the second one for me) but that's all.  there is
some #if 0-ed code which i was said is far from complete (or even
working) anyway.

> "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@crufty.net> writes:
> >
> > cpu0 at mainbus0: RT620/625 @ 100 MHz, on-chip FPU
> >=20
> > then, no it doesn't work.  These particular cpu's need some extra
> > help wrt cache coherency, and I don't know that anyone has the
> > needed docs to fix it.  (I've got four of those cpu's as well ;-)
>=20
> Too bad. Maybe try to get an NDA with Sun wich enables us to view the
> documentation and release the code we write, but not the
> documentation. I think that what we got with Intel regarding the
> Gigabit network driver, or something.

RT stands for Ross Technologies, which is the manufacturer of these
hyperSPARC MBus modules, not Sun Microsystems.  you are knocking on the
wrong door.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --