Subject: Re: OT: (perhaps) Remove RAM from IPC
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/05/2002 22:01:46
>> I have a problem with my newly aquired IPC. I want to install netbsd
>> on it, but first I have to replace some of the ram.

>> My question: is there a trick to remove those things?!

> They're just 30 pin SIMMs, right?

Right.

> Basically you just pull back the little metal spring clips and pull
> them out.

It's been a while since I had an IPC open, but I think they don't have
little metal spring clips the way peecee MBs that used 30pin SIMMs
tended to; I think the retaining clips are plastic.  They certainly are
on the 1s and 1+s I've dealt with recently.  (As a resulting downside,
they're significantly harder to see.)

I find that a right-angled dental instrument, or in a pinch the 5/64
allen wrench I use for my VME-based Sun-[34] gear, works nicely to fit
into the little hole in the SIMM and pry against the sockets to lift
them up to the point where all that's needed is fingers on the ends.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign