Subject: Re: data access exception error on boot w/ my sparc20
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/29/2002 00:42:54
On 28.11.02, 15:30:19, Bsd Neophyte wrote:

> > now i'm having problems getting the system up and running.  when the
> > system reboots, i get a "Data Access Exception" error along with some
> > numbers.

I've also had this problem once, and the reason was that an ultrasparc
kernel was installed instead of a normal (v7/v8) sparc kernel. I
don't even know why the sparc distribution contains an ultra (v9) sparc
kernel, but there it is. Try to boot the CD (or whatever bootmedium you
used, I've only done net installs so far) and unpack the normal GENERIC
kernel to the / directory.

The reason that you got the wrong kernel might have been that you chose
the wrong kernel set to be installed. (kern-GENERIC_SUN4U.tgz is the one
for sparcv9, i. e. UltraSPARC, chose kern-GENERIC.tgz instead.)

Hope this helps.

Maybe it should be a FAQ. (Along with an explanation why there is an
UltraSPARC kernel in the sparc distribution at all.)

Regards,
Bernd

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: The Last Bastion of the true UNIX Religion.
		-- Miles Nordin