Subject: Re: Faulty boot floppy image for version 1.6
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Alain_Pr=E9fontaine?= <alain@prefontaine.biz>
From: Paul Halliday <dp@dove.penix.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/18/2002 07:11:42
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, [iso-8859-1] Alain Pr=E9fontaine wrote:

> This message might of been on the list earlier, but I'm new to it and can=
't
> find it.
>
> I tried installing NetBSD ver 1.6 on my SparcStation IPX using the 2 flop=
py
> images from the ftp page. I tried at least 6 different disks (all new) an=
> tried both RAWRITEing them from my Windows machine and also copying them =
on
> the sparc using the SunOS that was on the machine. Nothing worked.
> Then I tried it with NetBSD ver 1.5 boot disks and it worked perfectly th=
> first time.
>
> I have 2 questions:
> 1- Is there a solution to this problem other than a cd (I don't have a cd=
 in
> the machine)?

=09hmm.. I had the same problem with my sparcbook. IIRC I booted from
the 1.6 (disk1) and the 1.5 (disk2). Which works, when asked for releases
I just selected the 1.6 distribution and it installed perfectly.

> 2- Is it worth bothering about now that I have 1.5 running well?

this is strictly up to you, its always worth it to have the most current
stable release.

> Alain

Paul Halliday.
http://dp.penix.org
"And so your god bungled his work deliberately, in order to tempt or test
his creature - did he then not know, did he then not doubt what the result
would be?"