Subject: Re: NetBSD/sparc 1.6 hangs
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/08/2002 21:55:41
At 8:38 Uhr -0800 27.10.2002, Chuck Silvers wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 02:36:01PM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
>> 	NetBSD 1.6_STABLE (PIZZA) #3: Sat Oct 19 00:45:25 CEST 2002
>>
>> kernel locks up fairly reproducably under high load, like doing a full
>> build and the daily cron job or an Amanda backup run kicking in. The
>> file-systems are ffs mounted with softdep.
>
>this is the first I've heard of this problem.
>
>if you get several stack traces (and let the system run a bit between them),
>is it always stuck in the same place?  if you set a breakpoint on mi_switch(),
>is the breakpoint triggered?

A late follow-up... I wasn't able to reproduce the exact pattern. With a
-current kernel, the machine locked up so hard during a full build that it
didn't even react to a break at the serial console.

I've removed the 'softdep' option from all ffs mounts; the machine has been
up for five days so far.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign