Subject: Re: No network in netscape
To: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk>
From: Johan A. van Zanten <johan@brahma.giantfoo.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/03/2002 18:08:01
---In message <20021103220211.GD357@mariner.coris.org.uk>
>> When I run communicator, it doesn't seem to receive any packets, e.g. when it
>> starts up, it tries to do a DNS lookup for it's own host name.
>
>Hmm, it's only DNS resolution that fails.  Tried libraries from Solaris 2.6
>and 7 and Netscape 4.78 and 4.79.
>
>Which versions work?

The Solaris 8 (2.8) binary of Navigator 4.8 works for me, but with one
problem: it fails to resolve hostnames for sites that have more than one A
record.  ( www.netscape.com is a good example.) I see the same problem with
the communicator binary.

I am using:

 Solaris 8 binaries
 NetBSD 1.5.4_Alpha
 Sun SPARC5/170 MHz

....setup as per COMPAT_SVR4(8) .

Does anyone else see this behavior?  Is anyone using the Solaris Navigator
or Communicator with *no* problems?  If so, what version of the Solaris
libs are you using?

 --johan