Subject: Re: Changing time on a Sparc LX
To: port-sparc <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: beaker <beaker@freeshell.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/01/2002 18:10:24

> > I get this feeling, then, that my battery might be dead on the board.

You know, if the system time is way off, but you're not having to reenter
all the boot prom stuff at bootup, then there's a good chance that the
speed of the NVRAM chip is too fast or too slow for your particular Sparc.
I have several sun4c machines which originally had 150ms NVRAM chips which
were dead. I replaced them w/ 200ms chips from Mouser and found that
although the machines will run ok (I did get a "NVRAM self-test failed..."
message at boot) the system clock was being skewed. Replacing these chips
w/ new 150ms chips from Maxim solved the problem. A work-around was/is to
do frequent calls to an ntp server I guess.

HTH,
Beaker

                      /
                 o  /