Subject: Re: sun4c vs 1.6
To: None <c.s.hendrix@larc.nasa.gov>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/26/2002 17:45:32
Charles Shannon Hendrix said:

>I did a few upgrades which never really fixed the problem on my 1.5.2
>machine, but since going to 1.6, named never fails (knock on wood).

I've gone from whatever was native named on 1.5.2 on an SS5 to bind-9.2.2rc1
on the same box running 1.5.4_ALPHA. Never had named die. The box is also
the main mailserver and NTP server for rmkhome.com. I used to have 32 megs
in there, but boosted it up to 64 megs a few weeks ago.

>I too was a little worried about the 1.6 upgrade but I tested first on a
>spare machine and it was great.  Now my two SS5's are running fine with
>it, and the speed boost is a welcome addition.  Perl actually manages to
>load before I lose interest and go away now.

I have 1.6 on an IPX and a Ultra5/270. Both boxes seem to work pretty well.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com