Subject: Re: sun4c vs 1.6
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/26/2002 17:30:05
Greg A. Woods said:

>No, I would say that 1.5.4 or whatever is latest on the netbsd-1-5
>branch is definitely better than 1.3.x or 1.4.x on all sparcs.  I have
>no reason to believe that 1.4.x is any better than 1.3.x w.r.t. having
>largish long-running processes eventually die (just like my Xserver did).

I have an SS2 running 1.4.3A which is my BigBrother server. Runs BB plus
Apache and constantly monitors the system on my network. Seems to stay up
as long as it is supplied with power. I have run X on it without problems,
but it is currently headless.

I have an SS1 that is running 1.5.4_ALPHA. It got there from 1.5 through
"make build" at fairly frequent intervals. I use it for some private mailing
lists. It to seems to stay up as long as power is applied.

>I would also say that 1.6 is better than any previous release just so
>long as your CPU is not one of the ones which trigger the software cache
>flush bug (i.e. so lon as your system is not a sun4c class machine which
>says "sw flush: cache enabled" on boot -- if it says "hw flush: cache
>enabled" then it should be OK).

As far as I can tell all SS1, SS1+, and IPC boxes return
"sw flush: cache enabled" on boot. SS2 and IPX return
"hw flush: cache enabled" on boot. At least, that has been
my experience. There may be later revisions of SS1 and friends
hardware that have different revisions of hardware.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com