Subject: Re: sun4c vs 1.6
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/25/2002 16:21:17
Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Hmmmm.... if you're running the stock 'named' from 1.5.3 then I believe
> that may be your problem.  You need to be running BIND-8.3.3 at minimum
> to avoid some potential security problems.  It's possible that the
> 'named' failures are actually intrusion attempts.  It's also possible
> they're just more BIND bugs too -- named from 8.3.3 dies on my 1.3.2
> sparc more often than I'd like, though other stuff dies there too,
> presumably because of libc bugs that I've got to fix by upgrading to
> 1.6.x myself.

I never thought about it being intrusiion attempts.  Could be, though I
think at least some of it was just bugs outside of that.  It would be
interested to check some security logs on a machine where it's failing
to see what kind of activity triggered the crash.

I did a few upgrades which never really fixed the problem on my 1.5.2
machine, but since going to 1.6, named never fails (knock on wood).

I too was a little worried about the 1.6 upgrade but I tested first on a
spare machine and it was great.  Now my two SS5's are running fine with
it, and the speed boost is a welcome addition.  Perl actually manages to
load before I lose interest and go away now.