Subject: Installation problems+console
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-2?Q?Szekeres_Szil=E1rd?= <szilard@foxart.hu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/24/2002 10:21:54
Hi!

I've installed NetBSD 1.6 on my SS2 with the help of the netboot/nfs
solution described in the installation document. Everything's fine, but
during the decompression procedure of the packages, stack overflow or
bus error-core dumped occoured. I recognized the option, that during the
decompression the installer won't display each file. That was
unsuccessful, only reduced installation finished well (everything, but
the games and X type of packages).
How can I finish the installation? I want to install the X things, that
are in the iso file. I tried to netboot the be able to start the
installer and upgrade or modify the packages, but that was unsuccessful,
the installer done fsck on the partitions, and asked to mark it clean or
not. So it seems to me, that the installer cannot see which packages are
installed.
Is it a (serious) hardware problem?

I used:
NFS, DHCP/BOOTP, RARPD server: RedHat Linux 8.0 (2.4.19), intel
etherexpress100+ nic
Sun SS2 KTI aui-utp converter directly connected to my pc's nic

I have a newbie question:
When I bought the macine, debian potato was installed on it and the
console was sg like a graphically displayed console (this baby has a
8bpp framebuffer card), the well known black one, and I were able to
switch between them with alt+f1 and so. But with NetBSD on the machine,
I cannot do this, and the console's look is the same as I were in the
PROM. How can I configure the NetBSD to have virtual consoles? Is it
possible?

Thanks,

Szilard Szekeres.

PS: Sorry about this long one :)