Subject: Re: NVRAM/OpenBoot2.6 Power-On Self Test FAILED
To: beaker <beaker@freeshell.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/14/2002 02:08:36
beaker said:

>I got the following error message during boot up on my Sparc2 after I
>changed out the NVRAM chip w/ a new one from Moser:

>"Power-On Self Test FAILED | replace NVRAM"

>After this is displayed I get the usual 1meg mem test and then

>If I type "b" the system boots just fine. I checked the OpenBoot Power Up
>Self Test variables and they all are as they ...

Must be a Dallas Semiconductor chip. I have an IPX with that chip, and it
boot and runs fine.

Log in as root and type "eeprom". You will see two of the values will be
filled with garbage:

hardware-revision=
last-hardware-update=

Unfortunately, emacs doesn't like the garbage that is actually there, so I
couldn't cut and paste it.

I have thought about clearing out those fields, but I haven't got around to
it.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com