Subject: Re: NVRAM/OpenBoot2.6 Power-On Self Test FAILED
To: port-sparc <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: beaker <beaker@freeshell.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/14/2002 07:19:09
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 07:02:04AM +0000, beaker wrote:
> > "Power-On Self Test FAILED | replace NVRAM"
> >
> > I suspect that there is just something that the system doen't like
> > about the new NVRAM chip.
>
> Indeed: its contents are invalid (among the data the chip holds,
> there is a checksum, so the machine can detect if the contents are
> supposedly valid or not). You need to manually fill the NVRAM with
> new values using the "mkp" command (or the "mkpl" command). There are
> only 16 bytes which need to be reset, and it is not difficult. See:
> http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

I've done this already - the Host ID and Ethernet Address are set
correctly and the system DOES boot normaly, so whatever the problem is, it
doesn't seem to have any real impact on anything once I'm up and running.
I suppose I could just keep typing "b" each time I do a cold boot, but I'd
prefer to find out whats going on and "fix it.

Beaker

                      /
                 o  /
                 </