Subject: Re: sparc classic vs quadra 650
To: webmaster@datazap.net <webmaster@datazap.net>
From: Thomas Pornin <pornin@bolet.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/14/2002 09:02:53
On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 12:52:35AM -0400, webmaster@datazap.net wrote:
> I would like to be able to rebuild the kernel, userland, and all the
> packages that that get installed on it. The Quadra has a 3.2 gig drive, so
> I think that I should be ok with it.

You might note that if your intended machine has network support, you
may use external storage with NFS. Considering that the base machine is
not fast, a NFS-exported filesystem might prove just as efficient as
a local harddisk, maybe even faster since then the source files won't
compete with swap space and the loading of the compiler binaries.

A few days ago, I just recompiled the kernel on my IPX (40 MHz sparc)
with all of /usr/src NFS-mounted (from an Alpha/FreeBSD) and it did the
job quite well (it took three hours though -- but I think this is not so
bad, considering the machine and the fact that gcc is quite slow on RISC
machines with many registers).

By the way: the new kernel uses about 3 megabytes of RAM; GENERIC used a
bit more than 4 megabytes. So I gained a bit more than 1 megabyte just
by commenting out the support for hardware I do not have. Is it possible
to gain even more space ?

	--Thomas Pornin