Subject: NVRAM/OpenBoot2.6 Power-On Self Test FAILED
To: port-sparc <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: beaker <beaker@freeshell.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/14/2002 07:02:04
I got the following error message during boot up on my Sparc2 after I
changed out the NVRAM chip w/ a new one from Moser:

"Power-On Self Test FAILED | replace NVRAM"

After this is displayed I get the usual 1meg mem test and then

If I type "b" the system boots just fine. I checked the OpenBoot Power Up
Self Test variables and they all are as they should be. I suspect that
there is just something that the system doen't like about the new NVRAM
chip. I looked at the OpenBoot 2.x manual and there was some mention of
certain Sparcs having a hardware switch - anyone know where that might be?
Since the system DOES boot ok, I'm wondering if there might be some FORTH
program that could be used to supress the self-test error and let the
system boot w/o my typing "b" - any ideas?

Cheers,

Beaker

                      /
                 o  /