Subject: RE: sparc classic vs quadra 650
To: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@comcast.net>
From: webmaster@datazap.net <webmaster@datazap.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/14/2002 00:52:35
Hi,

> > This computer is a quadra 630, and I tried to install NetBSD on it but it
> > doesn't see the harddrive (its IDE) or the NIC. Some told me that I could
> > get a second NIC for it but I can't seem to find one for it (this computer
> > does not use nubus).
>
> NetBSD 1.6 should recognize the drive as IDE support has now been added.
>
> As for the network card, there are two ways to install one in a 630- either
> in the CommSlot or using an LC PDS network card. I presume you have an
> example of one or the other currently installed, so you would just need to
> install one in the other slot. Assuming NetBSD recognized the cards
> themselves, it will support using cards in both interfaces.

Your right there is support for an ide hard drive in 1.6, but I am still
having some problems. Although, it sees the ethernet card (it is in the
CommSlot) if I have the cable modem pluged in it will not boot NetBSD.
And then if I try to use dhcp the computer freezes, or assign an IP
address. It does this whether or not I plug the cable modem back in.
I am using an old Apple AAUI network card, and it is running
through a transceiver. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be
wrong?

> > It is a 500 meg drive. And I would think that I could setup NetBSD on it
> > with out a problem, but I would really like to be able to build everything
> > from source. I have tried to do this with my laptop (it has a 1 gig
> > drive), and it ran out of drive space.
>
> All of NetBSD or just kernel rebuilds? 500mb does seem tight, but I'd think
> you could fit the kernel sources in a 1gb if you left out X and maybe
> deleted the kernel sources for architectures you don't have.

I would like to be able to rebuild the kernel, userland, and all the
packages that that get installed on it. The Quadra has a 3.2 gig drive, so
I think that I should be ok with it.

Thanks,
Al