Subject: RE: sparc classic vs quadra 650
To: None <webmaster@datazap.net>
From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@comcast.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/12/2002 20:17:29

NetBSD 1.6 should recognize the drive as IDE support has now been added.

As for the network card, there are two ways to install one in a 630- either
in the CommSlot or using an LC PDS network card. I presume you have an
example of one or the other currently installed, so you would just need to
install one in the other slot. Assuming NetBSD recognized the cards
themselves, it will support using cards in both interfaces.

> > > As for the Sparc Classic, it will cost me $110 to get a quad 10baseT
> > > ethernet card. And it will need a bigger hard drive and more
> memory. Plus
> > > it does not have a floppy drive. I must admit that I never used a sun
> > > before and I am a little bit nervous about playing with the openPROM.
> >
> > How big a drive is in it? You should be able to set up a minimal router
> > config with less than 1GB... probably a lot less. In lieu of
> the floppy, do
> > you have a CD-ROM and a way to burn the sparc ISO to a CD-R?
>
> It is a 500 meg drive. And I would think that I could setup NetBSD on it
> with out a problem, but I would really like to be able to build everything
> from source. I have tried to do this with my laptop (it has a 1 gig
> drive), and it ran out of drive space.

All of NetBSD or just kernel rebuilds? 500mb does seem tight, but I'd think
you could fit the kernel sources in a 1gb if you left out X and maybe
deleted the kernel sources for architectures you don't have.

<<<John>>>