Subject: Re: Changes between 1.5.3 & 1.6...
To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/12/2002 04:18:53
--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A

hi,

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 03:49:03AM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 2:23 AM +0200 2002/10/12, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
>=20
> > easy workaround: don't select kernel set in sysinst and unpack it
> > manually.  or install it whithout sysinst at all.
>=20
> I don't suppose you have any more detailed instructions you could give
> me for either of these two suggestions?

when you are selecting sets in sysinst simply don't mark kern.tgz.
after you exit sysinst, mount the to-be / filesystem and unpack the
desired kernel there.  note that using old sysinst may have some side
effects as well.

the second option is a bit more complicated.

- boot from the 1.5.2 floppies
- exit sysinst
- create disklabel on the target drive
- newfs created partitions
- mount them to e.g. /mnt
- unpack desired sets to /mnt
- run './MAKEDEV all' in /mnt/dev
- install bootblock
- configure your timezone, rc.conf, set root password etc.
- reboot

also consult INSTALL document for further details, especially the
post-install tasks.  this requires you to do almost the same tasks
between newfs and reboot as full diskless install so check diskless
howto as well.

another option would be to put some other drive to the machine along
with the target drive, boot from the 1.5.2 floppies, dd miniroot
filesystem to the other drive and boot from there.

i did even more weird installations.  be creative! :)

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=
 --