Subject: Re: sparc classic vs quadra 650
To: webmaster@datazap.net <webmaster@datazap.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/11/2002 20:20:19
On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 12:49:25PM -0400, webmaster@datazap.net wrote:

> 2. How much should the sparc classic be able to bus?

We are using a SS2 as DSL router/fire wall at work.
This consumes up to 10% of the CPU, if we exceed all our bandwidth, so there
is some room left (and I didn't care to optimize any settings).

> 3. Can I use PC memory in the Sparc Classic or is there a place that I
> can find cheap ram for it?

No PC memory, but always lots of offers on eBay.

> 5. When one would you use for a router?

Our Sparc is realy slow, but I have no clue how it compares to the quadra
(probably still faster). Sparcs are good at netbooting, so you may
be able to avoid a disk.

Martin