Subject: sparc classic vs quadra 650
From: webmaster@datazap.net <webmaster@datazap.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/11/2002 12:49:25
Hi All,

I am hoping that I can get some useful conversation from this, and don't
make anyone mad!

I am looking to setup another computer to act as a router. I will be using
a cable modem, and there will be a web server on the network. Anyway, I
have the opportunity to buy either a sparc classic with monitor,
keyboard, and mouse or an overpriced quadra 650 (Ofcourse, NetBSD runs on
both these machines).

Here is my dilemna:

Although I am not a mac guy, I have a lots of parts for the quadra 650
including two 10baseT ethernet cards, and an adaptor to use a pc monitor,
keyboard, and mouse. So, there would be nothing that I would need to buy
for the mac. On the down side the mac is terribly slow, and now that I
have a quadra (this mac will not support 2 NICs) hooked to the cable modem
it only downloads at about 14K per sec. (this is under mac OS). Plus, this
computer is really ticking me off, because it should be able to bus much
more than that.

As for the Sparc Classic, it will cost me $110 to get a quad 10baseT
ethernet card. And it will need a bigger hard drive and more memory. Plus
it does not have a floppy drive. I must admit that I never used a sun
before and I am a little bit nervous about playing with the openPROM.

So, here is my questions:

1. Does NetBSD support a quad 10baseT ethernet card? (I can't seem to find
this in the faq.)

2. How much should the sparc classic be able to bus?

3. Can I use PC memory in the Sparc Classic or is there a place that I
can find cheap ram for it?

4. Is there any other problems that I will run into by using a sparc
classic?

5. When one would you use for a router?

Thanks,
Al