Subject: Re: IPX base framebuffer resolution
From: Thomas Pornin <pornin@bolet.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/04/2002 11:33:51
On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 12:17:59AM +0100, Julian Coleman wrote:
> >From some testing I did recently with GX framebuffers (1), I guess the
> problem is dead NVRAM, as I'm fairly sure that all the EEPROM chamges are
> saved in NVRAM.  You could try :
>
>   cd /sbus/cgsix	(2)
>   r1152x900x66		(3)
>   set-resolution

I have gained temporary access to a bigger Iiyama monitor (the one at
work) and that one supports 1152x900 at 76 Hz, so now I have a bit more
information:

-- My RAM is correct.

-- The NVRAM battery is indeed dead.

-- When I try this:

setenv output-device screen:r1152x900x66
reset

then this makes no difference; however, printenv shows my new setting,
even after the reset, so even though the NVRAM battery is dead, the
settings are kept while I do not use the power switch.

-- I have tried several other resolutions (1024x768x77, for instance),
to no avail.

-- I have tried this:

cd /sbus/cgsix
r1152x900x66
set-resolution

but it fails on the "r1152x900x66" (the machine responds with a "?").
Moreover, this:

cd /sbus/cgsix
words

shows what should be the available commands on that specific device,
and there is no "set-resolution".

(For the record: the full device name is /sbus@1,f8000000/cgsix@3,0 )

-- I have also try this:

setenv output-device /sbus/cgsix:r1152x900x66
reset

but it did not change anything. I then tried this:

setenv output-device /sbus@1,f8000000/cgsix@3,0:r1152x900x66
reset

and I got... a black screen. The monitor reported that this was black
data at 76 Hz vertical sync, 71.6 kHz horizontal sync, which are the
parameter expected for a 1152x900x76 mode. The keyboard still worked,
though (I could type in a "reset" command).

I can make further tests, but I really would like to change the
resolution so that I could confortably install the machine at home (even
if I must blind-type some commands every time I boot the machine).
Alternatively, I might use a serial cable, provided I find such a cable
with the correct MiniDIN8 plug. There is a shop specialized in old
MacIntosh hardware near my office, I'll make a stop there (supposedly, a
MacIntosh serial cable could do the trick).

Anyway, thanks for all the answers.

	--Thomas Pornin