Subject: incoming packets not seen on bpf
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Mathieu Mourez <matt@securebuxx.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/02/2002 15:34:14
Hello,

I successfully installed 1.6 on the Netra t1 I've been fighting with
for the last few days, but now I'm facing a very strange problem...

The NetBSD box (moka - 192.168.1.99) is connected on hme0 with a
crossover cable to a Linux box (nazgul - 192.168.1.52). I'm running
tcpdump on both and it shows that the ARP negociation is fine, but
somehow moka doesn't see any ICMP/TCP/UDP packets coming to its MAC. In
other words, if I try to ping (or telnet to 22 for that matter) nazgul
from moka, both machines show the ARP exchange and the echo request (or
SYN), but moka's tcpdump doesn't show the echo reply (or SYN-ACK) which
is indeed sent by nazgul.

I'm really puzzled. The ARP negociation suggest it's not a physical
layer problem. To add to the mystery, everything is fine if I use hme1
instead of hme0!

Has anybody seen anything like this before?

TIA,

- Matt