Subject: Re: vi and/or Network troubles.
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/29/2002 09:12:18
On 29.09.02, 01:41:14, Laurent FAILLIE wrote:

> Everything works OK but when I'm trying to use vi :
> sometime (randomly), when I use 'up' or 'down' key, vi
> have strange reaction : for example, w/ the 'up' key,
> vi switch to edition mode and insert 'B' at each key
> press.

This is a known problem with vi. I don't know the correct solution, but
it is not NetBSD specific, and is mentioned on several vi help pages.

A workaround is to use the h j k and l keys for cursor movement.

The problem is that the cursor keys send more than one character, and if
the interval between the two is too big, they are interpreted as two
different keystrokes.

It should be possible to set a line speed somewhere, but I can't
remember where.

> Anyway, I duno if the problem is on the Ultra or on
> the SS5 side but, as I said, I haven't other network
> trouble.

Neither. It's a vi timing thing.

--
Bernd Sieker