Subject: Re: Floppies bootable disk images currupted?
To: Zhongwen Li <zhongwen_li@yahoo.com>
From: Paul Halliday <dp@dove.penix.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/26/2002 07:43:56
On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Zhongwen Li wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an SPARC station 10 which has dual TI390Z50
> CPUs. Since it has no CD driver for it, I would like
> to install the NetBSD ffrom the floppy driver. I have
> checked several ftp sites, most of them has a
> corrupted bootable image. The SUN OpenProm complains
> about bad magic number. The I check the files I
> downloaded for the disk1, the boot.fs shows a time
> stamp at 2010-11-28 12:00. Can anyone help me to
> rebuild the dump then put it on the net?
>
> Or other suggestions to how shall I do to boot the
> machine?

	I was having the same problem with my sparcbook (3GS).
I found that the floppy images from 1.5.3 and 1.6 would simply not work.

Solution:

	try the floppies from the 1.5.2 branch. On a local machine grab
the 1.6 distribution and place it on your hardrive somewhere, in my case
it was: /usr/SPARC/sparc/binary/sets. In this directory create a
link from kern-GENERIC.tgz -> kern.tgz (this is what the install will be
looking for) and everything should work fine.

good luck.