Subject: Re: a perf/reliabiliy tradeoff for 1.6 vs. Sun-4c with "sw flush" cache
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/22/2002 01:07:09
Just a short note between blewing away a 120 GB raid ;) and going to
bed:

First, thanks to the guys trying to fix the SS1 problems..

And,

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 05:39:53PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Note of course that Manuel's original work-around of flushing the whole
> cache instead was I believe 100% reliable -- just way too sloooowww! :-)

I'm not completely sure it was (is) 100% reliable.  My SS1's used to be
rock solid (I had uptime of over 600 days on my SS1/1.3.3), but with
Manuel's patch, irc has been dying every now and then (that's one of
the last things I run on SS1).  It could be hardware, but there are two
machines acting the same, so..

Ok, good night from this side of the globe ;)

  -jm