Subject: Re: a perf/reliabiliy tradeoff for 1.6 vs. Sun-4c with "sw flush" cache
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/21/2002 18:54:40
[ On Sunday, September 22, 2002 at 01:07:09 (+0300), Jukka Marin wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: a perf/reliabiliy tradeoff for 1.6 vs. Sun-4c with "sw flush" cache
>
> I'm not completely sure it was (is) 100% reliable.  My SS1's used to be
> rock solid (I had uptime of over 600 days on my SS1/1.3.3), but with
> Manuel's patch, irc has been dying every now and then (that's one of
> the last things I run on SS1).  It could be hardware, but there are two
> machines acting the same, so..

That's interesting news to hear.  I had no process deaths at all in over
a month of using the full cache flush on this one machine I use as my
primary workstation, though I was running it with as few processes as
possible -- primarily just XsunMono and ctwm, and one xload.  Is that an
IRC client or server?  How big is the process?  How much other context
switching happens on those machines (i.e. what else actually runs with
IRC)?

--
								Greg A. Woods