Subject: Re: why does esp attach only 8 targets?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Andrey Petrov <petrov@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/17/2002 00:12:50
On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 07:09:17AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 04:42:39PM -0700, Andrey Petrov wrote:
> > There is patch in archive and PR regarding 16 targets on fas so you
> > can try that out.
>
> Let me state it another way: I'm not concerned I can not drive all 14 disks
> and one CD in my U2, since I only have host + 2 other targets.
>
> I'm looking for bugs in the esp driver attachement, and this was one of the
> very obvious ones. So is there any sun hardware specific reason I'm not aware
> of that this "bug" works around? If not I'd suggest we just fix it ;-)

Yeah, if it works. There are some configury issues for which i point you
to PR and mail archive, and i personally havn't tested the patch yet
(though have plans to do that) so actually can't comment more at the moment.

> P.S.: I have a clearly verified setup where tagged queuing does major harm.
> I'm now going to replace the disk with a known-working-with-tagged-queuing
> one to check whether the lossage is esp driver attachment specific or disk
> firmware bug (my drive has special SUN firware, so it could be possible).
> Matt Thomas assured that the "asc" driver on VAX (which uses the same MI
> NCR driver) works fine with tagged queueing.

On my machine fas works all right with tagged-queueing if only one target
involved. I've shaken that quite hard in my tests, no problems.
I needed to add second drive to be able to reproduce the problem which
fairly easy goes away if i turn on debug logging.
It might mean that Matt (with all my respect to the man) might not stressed
enought his dear machine to watch it failed on tagged queueing.

	Andrey