Subject: Re: 1.6 floppies failing.
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Paul Halliday <dp@dove.penix.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/15/2002 09:59:34
On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 @ 7:42am (-0400), Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
>
> BAS> On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 @ 12:47pm (-0400), Paul Halliday wrote:
> BAS>
> BAS> PH>
> BAS> PH> 	Anyone experiencing the same? bad magic number in disklabel etc.
> BAS> PH> disks were created with dd if=disk1 of=/dev/rfd0a bs=36k.
> BAS>
> BAS> assuming disk1.gz is a symlink to ../bootfs/boot.fs.gz (same size)...
> BAS> then yes, i'm having trouble...in my case, can't use boot.fs.gz to make
>
> scratch that the 1.5.3 image didn't work either.  I may be doing something
> wrong, or perhaps i should use miniroot.gz instead of boot.fs.gz

I had a problem with the 1.5.3 disks too. It would boot but once the
installation system was up it would crash (something about not enough
space on device, which in fact also occured with the miniroot.gz) I opted
for 1.5.2 which installed fine.

FWIW I just tried the 1.6 disks again on a sparcstation 5 and on my
tadpole, both failed with the same disklabel issue.

Paul H.