Subject: Re: esp lossage - is this the same?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/14/2002 16:10:21
At 10:05 Uhr +0200 13.9.2002, Martin Husemann wrote:
>Since there has been some esp-lossage talk recently, I'm pretty unsure what
>this effect is:
>
>I have a U2, whith
>
>esp0 at sbus0 slot 14 offset 0x8800000 vector 20 ipl 3: dma rev fas
>: FAS366/HME, 40MHz, SCSI ID 7

[...]

ss10 here (sun4m) with a Seagate Cheetah hanging on a sunswift sbus card
(100BaseT / fast wide SCSI)):

esp1 at sbus0 slot 2 offset 0x8800000 level 3 (ipl 5): dma rev fas
: FAS366/HME, 40MHz, SCSI ID 7
scsibus1 at esp1: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
sd2 at scsibus1 target 2 lun 0: <SEAGATE, ST336706LW, 010A> SCSI3 0/direct
fixed
sd2: 35003 MB, 26302 cyl, 4 head, 681 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 71687370 sectors
esp1: wide mode 1
sd2: sync (100.0ns offset 15), 16-bit (20.000MB/s) transfers, tagged queueing

-- no problems at all with the SCSI bus. The hme is somewhat noisier.

>Is this a hardware problem? I checked cabling (as far as you can do that with
>the internal first disk in an U2), and solaris seemed to work just fine (but
>I didn't stress it hard).

Did the combination ever work?

>Is the disk at fault? It seems to be a bit slow, so I'm considering replacing
>it anyway (but due to my lack of clue for recent SCSI developement - last I
>had a SCSI-2 disk on an adaptec 1742 - I'm pretty confused by the new terms
>like LVD and don't know yet what disk would work in this machine).

LVD ('low voltage differential') allows for higher transfer speed and
longer buses. LVD devices on a bus will automagically fall back to single
ended mode when a SE only device is on the bus. That would be UW (40
Mbyte/sec) on an Ultra 2, no?

Current models (I can recommend the Seagates) run cooler, more silently,
come with bigger caches and smaller access times. If you can afford it, get
one.  ;)

>Or is this another symptom of lossage in the driver?

I've seen it happen before...

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign