Subject: Re: 1.6 on IPC (tagged queuing bug still there)
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/08/2002 14:19:56
[ On Friday, September 6, 2002 at 21:09:01 (+0200), Manuel Bouyer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: 1.6 on IPC (tagged queuing bug still there)
>
> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 02:03:44PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [...]
> > This issue affects all drives of the claimed vintage on _all_ machines
> > with _all_ kinds of scsipi-enabled drivers.
>
> Are you sure ? It's not clear yet it's not a driver issue.

Yes.  Well, it may be a driver issue for ESP100, but I've not yet had
any problems with ESP200 and any drives that worked with SunOS (4 or 5),
or in most cases I've tried with other NetBSD drivers that used tagged
queuing.

> Peoples do exange disks between hardware of different classes much more than
> you seem to think.

I don't know where you got that idea of what you think I might think,
but you've got it backwards.  I do know very much that people move
drives around (myself included) which is why I say any change to disable
tagged queuing must be done across the board on all ports and on all
drivers, even the scsipi-enabled ones.  All or nothing.  Fair is fair.

> Someone should try one of these "buggy" drives with another adapter.

indeed, but only if they can also assure us that other physical and
electrical issues are not to blame one way or another (cables,
connectors, terminators, power supplies, etc.)

--
								Greg A. Woods