Subject: Re: NFS setup problems (for net booting)
To: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/08/2002 14:33:40
On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 09:27:41PM -0700, Jon Buller wrote:

> In particular my /etc/exports file looks like this:
>
> /usr -ro -maproot=nobody:nobody client.bullers.net
> /home/client/root client.bullers.net localhost
> /home/client/swap client.bullers.net
>
> I added localhost to client/root to try and debug a bit better, but later
> realized that my real problem is the following syslog messages:
>
> Sep  7 21:18:05 server mountd[128]: \
> 	"/home/client/root client.bullers.net localhost", \
> 	line 2: Can't change attributes for /home/client/root \
> 		to client.bullers.net
>
> and the same thing for line 3 as well.  What am I doing wrong?

You cannot export directories on the same kernel mountpoint with
different options.

If /usr or /home/client/{root,swap} are on the same mount, you must
export each directory with the same options. This is mentioned in the
exports(5) man page,

``
BUGS
     The export options are tied to the local mount points in the kernel and
     must be non-contradictory for any exported subdirectory of the local
     server mount point.
''

You can null mount directories as a workaround, see mount_null(8).

grant.