Subject: Re: where is zstty??
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org, charlie@rubberduck.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/28/2002 19:05:11
>> [...pin correspondences...]
>> If you are so inclined, you can also wire up more signals for ttya;
>> the only ones that I would expect you would want to bother with are
>> [...more...]
>> though 22 of the 25 pins actually have something assigned to them.
> i dunno how you count 22 or 24 from that.  that looks to me like 12
> or 15.  :)

22 pins have something assigned to them by the copy of RS232C I saw (24
if you count two reserved-for-testing pins); I listed 15 of those 22.
The others are things like "Signal Quality Detector" and "Transmitter
Signal Element Timing" that I don't expect anyone involved to care
about.

> anyway...in my e450 manual it describes the pinout for the cable,

Interesting.  Thank you; I'm saving that table.

These mostly match RS232C, but they've done a little creative
reassignment of a few pins to support ttyb signals that don't have
"Secondary" versions in RS232C.  They also seem to have dropped pin 1,
protective ground, which I find depressing. :-(

Specifically,

> 11	dtr_b	o	data terminal ready
> 18	rxc_b	i	receive clock
> 25	txc_b	o	transmit clock

My RS232C notes file says pin 11 is unassigned, pin 18 is "local
loopback" (driven by DTE), and pin 25 is "test mode" (driven by DCE).

I notice that they have reversed the direction of pins 18 and 25 (ie,
who drives them); I speculate that they did so to help avoid problems
with any equipment that might try to use those pins for their RS232C
meanings.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign