Subject: SS10(?) clone HW debugging help needed.
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/27/2002 10:36:21
A few quick questions for the experts on the list...

Background:  I aquired a stripped Integrix SMB20E recently.  I've
been trying to make it useful by sending PayPal payments to random
people I meet on EBay. 8^)  The main board looks almost exactly
like the diagrams in the SS10 Service manual on docs.sun.com, and
it now has a pair of 64MB SIMMs and an SM71.  (OK, I broke down
and got the speaker box to, so it could beep at me. 8^)

So last night, I put all the stuff together (except for the speaker
box) and tried to get it to talk to my pc532 (since it has some
free serial ports).  Headless, and with no keyboard, I figured I'd
see something come out of the serial port at 9600 N81.  I didn't.
My breakout box tells me the lines are correct, but no data that
I can see.

So the next test I tried was to power down the home gateway/router
(the LX this message is being written on) and put it on the new
machine and see if the lights blink right.  Well, on the LX, all
4 blink twice at power up and then they are dark until you start
using it.  On the clone, they only blink once.  I held down L1-D
to run the diagnostics, but that didn't change anything.  In
particular, I did not see the caps lock light blink while the tests
were running, as was claimed in the service manual.

I then thought that perhaps part of the power supply had failed,
so I took an old CDROM and plugged the power in, and it was able
to open and close the tray when the button was pushed, so I would
guess that both +5 and +12 are there.  (And enough power gets to
the keyboard to light it up, and not burn it out.)

Anything anyone can suggest to get this to boot over the network?
I'll probably be getting it a drive real soon, but seeing something
come out of the serial port or network would be nice.  And I haven't
tried the TP-Enet port yet, didn't have a cable last night.
Otherwise I'd be sniffing for a network packet as well, but I doubt
it would be doing that by default at power-up.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance,
Jon