Subject: Re: LX with "GX" chip?
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@netbsd.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/24/2002 04:54:04
> "Thilo Manske" <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE> wrote:
> [...]
> > > The LX comes with a GX framebuffer as standard equipment.
> > >
> > > Sounds like your particular LX had it's chip liberated for something
else.
> > > Any GX gpu in a PGA package conceivably should work in that socket.
> >
> > The source of my confusion is that the video *works* without the
> > chip installed.  Leading me to guess that this is an accelerator or
> No, source of the confusion is that you think the GX chip is a PGA socket.
> ;-)

<grin>  No, source of confusion is far more fundamental than that -- have
two such machiines here.  *Tested* machine 1, *examined* machine 2!
(Of course, machine 2 is the one missing the chip).   <:-(

So, my question still stands -- can I steal the GX out of a cg6 SBUS card
or am I better off installing the card *in* the LX chassis?  I.e. is there
any difference between the "onboard cg6" and an "SBUS cg6" (besides
the fact that the SBUS card "costs" me a slot and some extra power...)?

Thx,
--don