Subject: Re: Large disks on an IPX?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/24/2002 01:35:50
>>> Also, I was wondering if I ought to set the bit value to anything
>>> in specific.
>> "the bit value"?  I have no idea what that is.
>>> Currently, its set to "7" (same as another drive on a workingsun4c
>>> box).
> >Then that's _probably_ an ok value to use.
> [ you're not talking about the SCSI ID here, I hope! ]

I thought of that, but I have trouble seeing how "another drive on a
working sun4c box" could be set to ID 7.  (I suppose it could be a box
recent enough to have scsi-initiator-id, and have it set to something
other than 7.  That seems unlikely; it seems even less likely that it
would be so and the box would be available for casual inspection by
people not aware of its having been done and what it means.

Indeed, I have trouble thinking of any use for setting
scsi-initiator-id to anything but 7, except for funky tricks like using
SCSI buses as a network medium, which would require an OS capable of
driving the SCSI chip as target...definitely not common. :)

I've also considered physically permuting the data lines on occasion,
though I can't now recall any of the things that that could possibly
help with - maybe devices that couldn't be configured for the full
range of IDs.  (Of course, it would have a number of other effects,
most notably that a lot of the SCSI protocol in each direction would
have to be shoved through a corresponding lookup table on the host,
though bulk data wouldn't provided you used the same permutation for
read and write.)

> I seem to recall needing to place an actual terminator on the back of
> the bus on the machine in order for things to work; IIRC it was even
> one of the "active" types (with the little green light in it).

I've seen machines require that.  But only a few of them, and I'm
pretty sure none of them Suns - and Suns I have wider experience with
than any other single line of machines.

That's not to say no Suns require it.  But probably not any sun4cs, and
certainly not any of the (probably eight or so) IPXes I've worked with.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign