Subject: Re: LX with "GX" chip?
To: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
From: Dale Ghent <daleg@elemental.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/23/2002 21:14:23
On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Don Yuniskis wrote:

| Greetings!
|    I'm hacking together an LX and notice a large PGA socket
| bearng the label "GX" on the board.  Shall I assume this is a
| video "upgrade" available for this model?  And, if so, can I just
| "steal" the "Sun GX" chip out of a cg6 (501-1672) and plug it in
| there?  Or, am I better off just plugging the SBUS cg6 card in
| instead?   (i.e. does the card have more/less VRAM, etc. on it)

The LX comes with a GX framebuffer as standard equipment.

Sounds like your particular LX had it's chip liberated for something else.
Any GX gpu in a PGA package conceivably should work in that socket.

I don't know if a TGX chip would work, but if both the LX and the TGX chip
were expendable, it might be an interesting experiment to try :)

/dale