Subject: Re: CDROM Errors
To: The Beaker <beaker@sparcbox.netbsd.org>
From: Toby Thain <toby@disegno.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/23/2002 11:39:12
The Beaker wrote:
> I recently obtained an external SCSI CDROM drive that I've hooked up
> to my Sparc-II. The kernel sees it ok (I think) but when I mount it I get
> "Check Condition on CDB" error, the meaning of which I haven`t a clue. The
> drive seems to mount ok otherwise, the FS is browsable, and 'umount' doesn't
> produce an errors. Any ideas whats going on here? I've included a script of
> a mount session plus a bit of 'dmesg' output.

 From my recollection of many years ago, some SCSI devices (at the time
I was using an Epson GT-series SCSI scanner) flag Unit Attention after
power-on reset. The SCSI driver I was writing detected this and
automatically did a Check Condition, after which the device resets Unit
Attention and works normally (so what you are observing is probably
completely normal). My recollection may be a little inaccurate however,
and I can't think of the reason for this device behaviour offhand.