Subject: Re: Central Data SCSI Terminal Server ST-1016 (WAS: Re: Sparc Aurora
To: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/14/2002 00:37:59
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 @ 10:00pm (+0100), Christian Smith wrote:

CS> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
CS>
CS> >Along the same lines, i have a "Central Data" "SCSI Terminal Server" model
CS> >ST-1016 sitting around here.  Unfortunately, it's so old, that the company
CS> >that acquired the original manufacturer (digi.com) posses (or is unwilling)
CS> >to release and specs about the unit.
CS> >
CS> >The device contains 16 25pin TIA/EIA RS-232 ports and has a mini50 pin scsi
CS> >interface w/ passthrough.
CS> >
CS> >Unforunately, I've also lost the AC->DC power adapter for it, otherwise I
CS> >would try to attach it to a scsi bus and probe it.
CS> >
CS> >I've been scouring Google for specs, and I'm coming up short, which is
CS> >normally a bad sign (if it's not in Google, it's probably not out there)
CS> >
CS>
CS> Might be of interest:
CS> http://outflux.net/unix/software/sts/

Yes, but unfortunately, the work described here seems to reflect newer
models.

I tore apart my unit and found that it was made in 1993, so it's probably
circa 1991.  I put some quick pics (sorry for the bad blur/flash/focus) up
at:

http://digitalfreaks.org/~lavalamp/images/centradata_scsi_termserv_1016/DSC00093.JPG
http://digitalfreaks.org/~lavalamp/images/centradata_scsi_termserv_1016/DSC00094.JPG
http://digitalfreaks.org/~lavalamp/images/centradata_scsi_termserv_1016/DSC00095.JPG
http://digitalfreaks.org/~lavalamp/images/centradata_scsi_termserv_1016/DSC00097.JPG
http://digitalfreaks.org/~lavalamp/images/centradata_scsi_termserv_1016/DSC00098.JPG

I also found some crazy person trying to pedel off an 8 port model on ebay at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2045473525
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2045504003

...the former wants $25, the latter $40...they're both crazy >:}

-lava

CS> --
CS> "Working at Muse is like watching a train wreck in slow motion"
CS> 						- E. Drainer
CS> -----------------------------------------------------------
CS>     /"\
CS>     \ /    ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
CS>      X                           - AGAINST MS ATTACHMENTS
CS>     / \

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973

"Microsoft Windoze: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."