Subject: Re: Central Data SCSI Terminal Server ST-1016 (WAS: Re: Sparc Aurora card for NetBSD?)
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/13/2002 13:57:07
> Brian Seklecki wrote:
>
> AB> >hmmm 4 port card, wonder which chip is in it.  i have a driver
>
> Along the same lines, i have a "Central Data" "SCSI Terminal Server" model
> ST-1016 sitting around here.  Unfortunately, it's so old, that the company
> that acquired the original manufacturer (digi.com) posses (or is
unwilling)
> to release and specs about the unit.
>
> The device contains 16 25pin TIA/EIA RS-232 ports and has a mini50 pin
scsi
> interface w/ passthrough.

Have you peaked inside to see what processor does the actual work and
what SCSI interface (chip) is used?  Older technology in these things is
often
pretty easy to reverse engineer...

> Unforunately, I've also lost the AC->DC power adapter for it, otherwise I
> would try to attach it to a scsi bus and probe it.

Often, the voltage, current and polarity requirements are stamped (molded?)
on the device somewhere near the power connection.  Note that you
still have to get the right *size* mating connector (assuming it is a two
conductor "barrel" connector) -- the standard sizes are so frigging close
to each other as to make this an annoying undertaking (you find an adapter
that *looks* to be the right size only to discover it is 0.030
under/over-sized!)

> I've been scouring Google for specs, and I'm coming up short, which is
> normally a bad sign (if it's not in Google, it's probably not out there)

Yup.  I have been in a similar situation looking for docs on a few of
the speech synthesizers I have here.  Crappy business to be in -- when
somethinig 5 or 10 years old is SO obsolete that people don't even
recall it EXISTED -- let alone being able to support it!  :-(

And I won't even *begin* to mention the problems I've had trying to
get documentation of the Pertec 9Track interface... :-(

--don