Subject: Re: Rehash: XFree86 Compiled on NetBSD/Sparc
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/13/2002 13:23:11
[ On Tuesday, August 13, 2002 at 01:28:41 (-0400), Brian A. Seklecki wrote: ]
> Subject: Rehash: XFree86 Compiled on NetBSD/Sparc
>
> What's to keep the NetBSD/sparc people from working with the XFree86 folks to
> get the X4 sun* modules from working?  It would be nice to standardize X servers.

Why?

Maybe it makes some sense for sparc64 in order to support a wider
variety of display cards, but perhaps not for any sbus sparcs where all
the necessary drivers are already in the kernel where they belong.

> So, it's not just a matter of #ifdef'ing a little code -- you
> need to write support for probing the sbus space for the XFree86
> server, and then whack on the drivers a bit, probably.

That's the wacked out part.  As I understand it XFree86 is broken by
design.  It cannot understand a proper framebuffer device driver and
thinks it wants direct access to the hardware itself.  That's just plain
wrong.  I also thought there was some movement afoot to get XFree86
re-engineered so that it could put the kernel parts of device drivers
back in the kernel where they belong.

--
								Greg A. Woods